Friday, August 19, 2011

What if - day 3

Day 3 : What If the whole world were listening, what would you say?

I would like to think that I would make a joke, like:

Why didnt the the skeleton go to the party?
- Because he had nobody to go with

But actually, I think I would be very political. I just finished reading a self biograph about the war in Bosnia (In swedish: Sista kulan sparar jag åt grannen). The book describes how this woman see her friends and neighbours get torn into pieces by war and literally by bombs and former friends becoming enemies just because they have a different national identity. Brothers fighting on differents sides, because they have different fathers and young people becoming soldiers, to kill or to be killed. The thing that made the most impact on me however, was at the very end of the book, when she describes her and her sons first night in Sweden.

"The first night in Sweden, my two sons went out for a walk, to enjoy their newfound freedom. Suddenly a gang passes them on motorcycles, after a few minutes, the turn around, come back, and beat them up. I think that Sweden is a very open and liberal place, but as the rest of the world, there are ideas that some people from some nations are better than others. How long will it take for the world to understand, that nationality doesnt make you stand above anyone, we are all the same, flesh and blood - and should be judged as a person, not as a nationality"

So simple, but yet so hard. So I would stress the importance of equality. There is no "quality" difference between people, and there is no difference between men and women. We are just one humanity.

No comments: