Sunday, July 24, 2011

Malta: Fourth day

Tomorrow I start work, which is nice, because it is quite strange to be on a beautiful island all by myself. These last days, I´ve been reading books, swimming and solving word puzzles, so I haven’t really spoken to anyone since Wednesday night.

Or actually, that is not really true. I´ve spoken many more times than I wish with Silvarn, the hotel owner. Silvarn, is like a combination of Basil from Fawlty Towers (svenska pang i bygget), Gordon Ramsey when someone boils an egg too long and the South European Godfather you never wanted to have. Yesterday, I decided I wanted to sleep in and skip the hotel breakfast. 09.05, 5 minutes after the breakfast is over, the phone in room rings.
- Hello, this is Basi... Silvarn.
- Yes hello?
- Why don’t you come to breakfast? Don’t you want breakfast?
- No thank you, Im fine.
- Breakfast is important, you should eat breakfast! ! !

This morning, I did not dare to not eat breakfast, so I went up pretty early, decided that I during this day I would try to find out where the company´s office is located at, walk there so I could find it tomorrow without any problems. 09.05 the phone rings:
- Hello, this is Gordo.. Silvarn.
- Yes hello?
- When will you leave your room?
- Hm, maybe about an hour or so?
- No! That is bad! You need to go now, housekeeping will come NOW!
- Ok, I will try to hurry up, I just need to take a shower.
- NO! No time! YOU NEED TO GO!

So I decided to go, but when I looked through the email with the address to the company’s office, I realized Id forgotten to bring with me passport photos. No worries, I though, this is easily fixed! Well, googling Passport photos Malta, didn’t give much result, so I had to go down and speak to the Godfathe... Silvan.

- Hi, I was wondering if you now a place where I could take passport photos?
- TODAY? This is a Christian country and it is SUNDAY?
- Ok... but do you know any place that might be open?
- Hm, there is one place a St Georges. But it is like a 30-minute-walk, you better take the bus! He said with an evil smile.

The bus, I thought! HA!I I can see that there is something strange with the bus! But HA again! He doesn’t know who he is talking to! If he only knew that I - Gabi - once walked around a lake ( a 40 kilometer walk) just to see if I could do it, that I - Gabi - toghether with Annika, walked around the whole of Bangkok in three days, that I - Gabi - is so good at walking, that I sometimes do it when I’m asleep. Actually, come to think about it, I should be called: Gabi - The Walker. So I decided to walk (this has nothing to do with the fact that I haven´t figured out how the bus system works).

And walked I did. But once again Silvarn had played me with his evil smile, that made me not take the bus (yes, the decision was only based on that, not the fact that I dont know how the bus system works). That 30 minute walk, was more like a 5 hour walk. In 30 degree Celsius. Without a cloud on the sky. I actually had to stop and sleep on a bench for an hour, symbolizing the fact that I’m actually homeless, and maybe, perhaps, should not be called The Walker.

Too shallow to go for a swim, since I thought a passport photo of me and my forehead (see picture above for Gabi´s hot wet look) would be to crowded, walking next to the seaside all the way was just the beginning of the cruel joke that was this walk. The heat made my feet swell up to the size of watermelons, my hands where just like blobs, and my body went into "Stuck-in-a-desert"-survival-mode. So you can imagine my joy, when I at last found the damn Photo shop!

- Hi, I was wondering if you guys take passport photos?
- Yes we usually do, but not today because the machine is broken. You can come back tomorrow, by then it should be fixed.
I will not be coming back tomorrow (if I don’t figure out how the bus system works). But what I should do tomorrow is probably to befriend Silvran, because making fun of him has consequences. Who knew that Karmas best friend was a hotel owner in Malta?

No comments: